Google Groups Beta
Subscribe to Great Book Club Blog
Email:
Visit this group
Newcomers are welcome to join in our discussion of
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
* Check out our Pride and Prejudice lists *

Friday, January 26, 2007

Emma by Jane Austen --
Vol. 1 Ch. 6 pt 10

"It is very pretty," said Mr. Woodhouse. "So prettily done! Just as your drawings always are, my dear. I do not know any body who draws so well as you do. The only thing I do not thoroughly like is, that she seems to be sitting out of doors, with only a little shawl over her shoulders--and it makes one think she must catch cold."

"But, my dear papa, it is supposed to be summer; a warm day in summer. Look at the tree."

"But it is never safe to sit out of doors, my dear."

"You, sir, may say any thing," cried Mr. Elton, "but I must confess that I regard it as a most happy thought, the placing of Miss Smith out of doors; and the tree is touched with such inimitable spirit! Any other situation would have been much less in character. The naivete of Miss Smith's manners--and altogether--Oh, it is most admirable! I cannot keep my eyes from it. I never saw such a likeness."

No comments: